I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to weight loss, meeting sales goals, and just about anything else, I am highly motivated by a little friendly competition and prizes. That’s why I’ve always liked the idea of doing a Biggest Loser style challenge among some of my friends interested in losing weight. Thankfully, I’ve finally found a good group of girls to join me in doing this and it has been great motivation for us all. I thought I’d share our progress with all of you so you can organize your own if you are so inclined. =)
We started by laying down some basic rules that would be easy for all of us to follow, if you decide to do something similar, you can use these or tweak them with your own:
- There is absolutely no specific diet you are to follow during this competition. All we ask of each other is that everyone remains healthy. For us women folk, that means eating a bare minimum of 1200 calories a day.
- You must email me your weight every Monday before 11:59pm. I will then compile a list of the weight loss percentages of everyone, declare the weekly winner, and email it out to you by Tuesday at 11:59pm. The declared winner be excluded from this, but all others will have a dollar added to their total for the final winner.
- To participate, you must be willing to add $5 to the pot to start and then $1 dollar every subsequent week – unless you are the weekly winner. At the end of the 3 month period, the person who has lost the highest percentage overall will be winner and receive the entire pot to buy themselves a fancy new outfit.
- If any person reaches their ultimate goal weight before the end of any round of competition, that round is totally over and the person who reaches their goal is automatically declared the winner.
- If you are late in submitting your weight on any given week without letting me know why ahead of time by text or email, you will have an additional 50cents added on to your running tab.
As you can probably tell, we decided that to participate, everyone had to put $5 dollars into the pot and then an additional $1 every week there after, unless they are the weekly winner. The accumulated money goes to the overall winner at the end so that they can buy themselves a new outfit to show off their success. Isn’t that great?
We’ve had two weekly weigh-ins so far and everyone is doing really well. Even if they’ve gained weight, they’re sticking with it and that is such a great accomplishment, in my opinion. I figured out the total weight that has been lost between the 5 of us is 25.1 pounds after only 2 weeks! Wow! I think we are off to a great start, if I do say so myself.
I’m thinking that I may do a weekly installment highlighting the weekly winner on my blog here to give them a little more notoriety and to keep all of you updated on our continued successes. Sound like a good idea?